Making sure you qualify
Before you begin your new career, there are some basic requirements that must be met in order to qualify for a CDL in the state of Washington. For items listed in italics, Check Ride can assist you with arrangements and/or scheduling.
- Age – you must be at least 18 years of age to drive intrastate (within the state of Washington) and at least 21 years of age to be an interstate driver (across state lines).
- Language Proficiency – you must be able to read, write, and comprehend the English language. If English is your second language, Ability to Benefit (ATB) Tests will be required.
- US DOT (Department of Transportation) Physical – you must take and pass this physical exam prior to licensing. We can help you arrange to take this test.
- Pre-Employment Drug Screening – you must pass this test in order to qualify for work with trucking companies within the state. We can help you make arrangements for testing.
- 5-year Driving Abstract – this is obtained from your local Department of Licensing, and must show a satisfactory driving record within that timeframe.
- CDL Learners Permit – the test for this permit covers rules of the road for commercial drivers and you may take the test at any driver licensing office that offers testing. You can review the CDL Learners Permit Requirements on the Washington State Dept. of Licensing webpage.
- Social Security Card – you must be able to provide this upon request. (This is often needed in conjunction with pre-employment offers.)
- Qualify for Tuition – our tuition rates are affordable, and there are many options available to you for payment and reimbursement. We invite you to come out and discuss with the Admissions & Student Director when you are ready to sign up.
Come out and Visit – We love to meet prospective students! When you schedule your visit, our Admissions & Student Director will walk you through the campus, answer any additional questions you may have and help you make arrangements for your tuition.